Therapeutic recreation education in Ontario includes:

  • Four-year Therapeutic Recreation Honors programs at University of Waterloo and Brock University
  • Four-year Therapeutic Recreation Interdisciplinary Degree at Seneca College
  • One-year post-graduate Ontario College Graduate Certificate at Georgian College
  • Two-year Therapeutic Recreation and Recreation & Leisure diploma programs – various community colleges

Ongoing professional development is expected for every Toronto Rehab practitioner. CEUs are collected annually.

Annual therapeutic recreation conferences are held provincially, nationally and internationally. Therapeutic recreation is also a part of the IPE events and activities held throughout the year within the hospital and the university environments.

Registration and Certification

Qualified therapeutic recreation practitioners can register through Therapeutic Recreation Ontario (TRO) to become a registered therapeutic recreationist (R/TRO) in Ontario and/or an individual can choose to write the examination through the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification to become a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS).

Contact Us

Tracey Dion, Practice Leader – Therapeutic Recreation
Phone: 416 597 3422 ext. 3587
Email: tracey.dion@uhn​.ca

Back to Top