If you were to stop smoking right now...
- Within 20 minutes: Your heart rate drops
- Within 8 hours: Carbon monoxide levels in your blood return to normal
- Within 24 hours: Your sense of taste and smell would improve
- Within 3 days: Your coughing and shortness of breath improve
- Between 2 to 12 weeks: Your risk of heart disease is half that of a smoker
- Between 1 to 9 months: Your coughing and shortness of breath improve
- At 1 year: Your risk of heart disease is half of a smoker
- At 5 to 15 years: Your risk of heart disease, stroke and cancer would continue to lower
Benefits of Quitting
If you quit smoking, it can improve your health almost right away. Choosing a healthy lifestyle is the best thing you can do for your health and that of those around you.