This page is available in multiple languages:

Your cancer care team is the group of health care providers who treat your physical and emotional health when you have cancer. This team may include:

The "Star Player" - You

You are the most important member of your cancer care team and should be part of all decisions.

Your Oncologists (Cancer Doctors)

Oncologists are doctors who specialize in treating people with cancer. There are three main types of oncologists:

  • Medical oncologists treat cancer with medicines, such as chemotherapy.
  • Radiation oncologists treat cancer with radiation therapy.
  • Surgical oncologists treat cancer using surgery.

You may have more than one oncologist on your cancer care team, depending on your treatment plan.

Oncology Nurses

Oncology nurses are registered nurses who specialize in the care of people with cancer. They: 

  • Provide pain and symptom management
  • Care for inpatients (patients who stay overnight in the hospital)
  • Provide care and support during your review and follow-up appointments

Nurses often have the most contact with people being treated for cancer. They can provide you with information, emotional support and practical support.

Your Primary Care Provider (Family Doctor or Nurse Practitioner)

Your primary care provider manages your general health. Your primary care provider should do a complete physical check-up every year. They will also help you keep track of your physical, emotional and social needs after treatment.

Social Worker

A social worker can help you with your mental and social well-being. They can help you and your family resume your daily life.


A dietitian is a health care provider who can counsel you on matters of nutrition and diet.

Patient Flow Coordinator

A Patient Flow Coordinator is someone who works in the clinics at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. They will book your appointments and check you in for your appointments.


A psychiatrist is a doctor who treats your mental and emotional health. A psychiatrist will come up with a treatment plan and can prescribe medicine.


Psychologists treat mental and emotional health, and do not prescribe medicine.


Pharmacists are health care providers who can help you learn about your medicines. Pharmacists can teach you how to take your medicines safely and help you notice side effects.ependence.

Medical Professional Trainees

The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the other hospitals of the University Health Network are teaching hospitals. Medical professional trainees who are gaining experience may be part of your cancer care team.

  • Students are people who are training to become medical professionals such as doctors, nurses, or pharmacists. Most students will be in their final year of school.
  • Residents are doctors who are qualified to practice medicine but are training to become specialists, such as pediatricians. Residents can spend between 1 and 5 years training to become specialists after graduating from medical school.
  • Fellows are specialists who have finished residency. Fellows go through further training to become experts in their chosen area - for example, pediatric oncology.

For more information about medical professional trainees:


Many people volunteer their time to work at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. Volunteers can help you find information you need.

Learn more about UHN Volunteers »

Other Members

There may be many other people on your cancer care team. Find out about the resources available to you in My Resources and Support. Visit the Princess Margaret Patient and Family Library to learn more about different cancer care providers.

-- back to top --


Last reviewed: 1/8/2020
Last modified: 1/10/2020 7:32 AM