Mission: To provide the full spectrum of comprehensive, compassionate oral care to oncology patients.
Vision: To be a global leader in dental oncology and maxillofacial prosthetics by advancing knowledge and innovation in oral care for people with cancer.
The Dental Oncology and Maxillofacial Prosthetics Clinic is the largest full-service dental oncology clinic in Canada. Each year our interdisciplinary team sees 1,400 new patients and receives over 14,000 individual patient visits at our state-of-the art clinic.
We provide comprehensive care and service to:
- Undiagnosed patients with suspected malignant mucosal or osseous diseases
- Patients requiring dental care prior to receiving head or neck radiation treatment
- Patients receiving chemotherapy that may compromise the immune system
- Patients receiving intravenous drugs that could alter bone healing, such as bisphosphonates or anti-angiogenesis drugs
- Pre-surgical patients with tumours that may require surgical splints, obturators, speech bulbs, palatal-lift prostheses or mandibular extension prostheses
- Patients requiring a second opinion or those whose physician, dentist or allied health care professional may need advice or help with treatment planning
Our facial prosthetics team provides care and service to people requiring prosthetics after oral or facial surgery or before undergoing head or neck radiation.
Currently we are upgrading our clinic’s facilities to accommodate the high volume of patients we see each year. We have converted all of our patient charts to electronic ones and now store all patient dental notes, charts, and x-rays digitally, improving access to patient information. The Clinic has a comprehensive imaging unit with small field of view (FOV) cone beam CT, large FOV cone beam CT, intraoral, extraoral, and panoramic radiography units.