Main Page Content

How do I get a copy of my health records?

To request a copy of your personal health information, you must provide the following:

The consent must be directed to University Health Network, dated within three months, witnessed by another person and must list in detail, the records you are requesting and the dates pertaining to the visit.

Requests are processed when the above required information is received in good order. Requests will not be processed without both authorization form and prepayment fee. They are processed in order of receipt. Please note, requests will take approximately 3-15 business days to be processed.


Will the hospital have all of my records?

Hospitals keep the records that the law requires them to keep. This means that the hospital may only keep some of your records.


What if I want my records released to someone else?

Whether you want your records released to a relative, friend, family doctor or another institution, you must provide signed consent for the hospital to release your information. The consent must be dated and witnessed. It is valid for 6 months.


Do I need parental consent if I am a minor?

Parental consent is required if you are is less than 16 years of age and not capable of consenting. Otherwise, you can consent to disclosing your information. If there is a conflict between the child and the parent, the capable child's decision prevails with respect to the consent.


What if I want to make a correction to my record?

In order to make a correction to your record, please fill out theRequest to Correct Personal Health Information form, clearly outlining what you are requesting to have changed.

​​ ​

What if I need the records of an incapable or deceased patient?

To release personal health information of a deceased patient, consent is required from the executor of the estate (with proof, copy of first page where it names the executor and last page where the patient/deceased signed the Will). If no Will exists, a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee is required.


How do I request birth records?

If you are looking for your birth information (ie., proof of birth), please submit a written request that includes your mother’s full name at the time of your birth and her date of birth.

Please note that we do not issue birth certificates – these are issued by the Government of Ontario.


Is there a charge?

There is an administrative fee for copies of your record based on thePDF icon imagecurrent fee schedule. An administrative fee of $30 dollars  (+HST) shall apply to all requestors. This includes pages 1 to 20. After the first 20 pages, any additional pages will cost .25 cents per page. Your health record may be provided to you in CD format for an additional $10 dollars (upon request).

Please note: There is no fee to release patient information to other health care facilities or physicians, for continuity of patient care.


Hours & Contact

Princess Margaret, Toronto General, Toronto Western
Monday - Friday
8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Phone: 416 946 4501 ext. 4711

Health Record Services
Princess Margaret Hospital
610 University Ave.
Floor 3b, Room 202
Toronto, ON    M5G 2M9

Toronto Rehab
Monday - Friday
8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Bickle Centre
Phone: 416 597 3422 ext. 2532

Lyndhurst Centre
Phone: 416 597 3422 ext. 6109

Rumsey Centre
Phone: 416 597 3422 ext. 5303

University Centre
Phone: 416 597 3422 ext. 4712



General Inquires (Princess Margaret Cancer Centre): 416 946 2385
Release of Information (Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital and Princess Margaret Cancer Centre): 416 340 3829
Toronto Rehab: 416 597 7050