At UHN, we strive to deliver Compassionate Care & Caring. Learn more about the services and supports that are available to you throughout your journey.
Our UHN programs and services are among the most advanced in the world. We have grouped our physicians,
staff, services and resources into 10 medical programs to meet the needs of our patients and help us make
the most of our resources.
At the heart of everything we do at UHN are our Healthcare Professionals. Refer a patient to one of our 12 medical programs. Learn more about the resources and opportunities available for professional growth.
University Health Network has grown to be one of the largest research and teaching hospital networks in Canada - pioneers in improving the lives of patients. Our long history of health professions education at Toronto General, Toronto Western, Princess Margaret and Toronto Rehab hospitals has consistently advanced the science of education.
University Health Network is a health care and medical research organization in
Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN has made us a national and international
source for discovery, education and patient care.
Being touched by illness affects us in different ways. Many people want to give back to the community
and help others. At UHN, we welcome your contribution and offer different ways you can help so you can find one that suits you.
The Newsroom is the source for media looking for information about UHN or trying to connect with one
of our experts for an interview. It's also the place to find UHN media policies and catch up on our news stories, videos, media releases,
podcasts and more.
Epilepsy is a condition that is still misunderstood.
To increase public knowledge about this neurological disorder that affects approximately one in every 100 Canadians, the month of March is dedicated as Epilepsy Awareness Month.
In Canada, March 26 is recognized across the country as Purple Day -- a day dedicated to raising awareness about the condition. Canadians can show support by wearing purple, the international colour for epilepsy.
How did Purple Day start?
This year marks the first national Purple Day in Canada.
Motivated by her own struggle with epilepsy, Purple Day was started by Cassidy Megan, a young girl from Nova Scotia, to increase understanding about the condition. Megan hoped to dispel myths and help those who suffer from seizures feel less isolated.
Last year, the Canadian government recognized Megan's efforts. Parliament voted to pass Bill C-278 – the Purple Act – to officially recognize March 26 as Purple Day.
"Purple Day is really important to increase awareness around epilepsy," said Alina Shcharinsky, Nurse Practitioner, Functional Neurosurgery and Surgical Epilepsy at the Krembil Neuroscience Centre, who has helped organize epilepsy-related events at Toronto Western Hospital.
"We need to continue our efforts to increase awareness and educate the public about this disorder because people affected by epilepsy have one of the lowest quality of life among those suffering from chronic diseases, mainly due to stigma from lack of public knowledge," she added.
The need for awareness
Epilepsy, and the seizures that define this disorder, come in many forms.
Seizures can range from absence seizures –which last roughly 20 seconds and impair consciousness– to tonic-clonic. Also referred to as grand mal seizures, this type of seizure affects the entire brain, causing a person to lose consciousness and have convulsions.
Although medications exist to help patients manage their seizures, only 70 per cent of people with epilepsy respond to medication. Of the remaining 30 per cent, half are candidates for brain surgery, but the remaining 15 per cent have no treatment options to stop their seizures.
Show – and Tweet us— your purple
Staff, patients and visitors are invited to "show us your purple" in support of our patients with epilepsy and their families. On March 26, take pictures of yourself and coworkers in your Purple Day gear. Tweet them to @UHN with the hashtag #PurpleDay. We will upload your purple pics to the UHN Facebook page
here for you to share with your friends.
Staff are also invited to drop by the Purple Day booth at TWH between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. to learn about epilepsy, enjoy baked goods and enter a raffle draw – we hope to see you there!