By Daniela Fierini, RD, Clinical Nutrition Practice Leader, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
The holiday season has arrived and this year you are going through cancer treatment. You want to spend time with family and friends but you have no energy for the usual activities. You want to enjoy the traditional foods but you have trouble eating.
Here are some ideas that can help get you through the holidays:
- Let the host of the dinner party know ahead of time that you have trouble eating.
- Ask them if they can give you small portions or suggest that you can serve yourself.
- If you have nausea, bring foods you can eat such as a plain pasta dish or angel food cake.
- If your mouth is sore, bring a favourite pudding. Put it in a fancy bowl or seasonal mug.
- If you cannot make it through the whole evening, go for appetizers or join them for dessert.
- If you usually host a meal, ask a relative or friend if they can host this year. To limit stress, each person who attends the event can bring a food item.
- Share your thoughts and feelings with your family and friends. They will be happy that you reached out to them.