By Daniela Fierini, RD, PMH Clinical Nutrition Practice Leader, Registered Dietitian for the Hematology-Oncology Program
The holiday season is a busy time of year that brings family and friends together. Social calendars are packed with dinner parties and celebrations. This year give yourself permission to celebrate the season differently. Keep the traditions that bring you the most joy and comfort. Abandon the events that just add stress. Share your thoughts and feelings with your family and friends. They will be happy that you did.
Here is a great little drink recipe that may help to get you through the holiday parties and family gatherings that you would like to attend. It is an alcohol-free version of the cocktail and a festive twist to a common remedy for nausea - flat ginger ale. The cloves and ginger can help relieve nausea. The apricot nectar may be soothing for a sore mouth or throat.
Enjoy, and have a peaceful and safe holiday season!
The Apricot Gingerini
- 2 1/2 oz white grape juice
- 3 oz apricot nectar
- 1 oz ginger-infused simple syrup (see recipe below)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Pour grape juice, apricot nectar, ginger-infused simple syrup,* and most of the ground clove into a mixing glass filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously, then strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with the remaining ground clove.
Ginger Infused Simple Syrup
- 8 oz sugar
- 8 oz water
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped ginger
- Combine sugar, water and ginger in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil for one minute.
- This syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.