The Team

Nurse Manager: Susan Kiernan

Patient Care Coordinator: Tatiana Pires

Many people will take part in your care. The following are those who you will meet most often.

Physicians & Surgeons

Doctors who may be contacted, as needed, to make sure the best possible care is given.

Staff Physician
This doctor provides your daily medical care.

This is the doctor who operates on you.

Medical Students, Interns, Residents or Fellows

UHN is a teaching hospital.  Medical students have not completed their medical degree.  Interns, Residents and Fellows have all completed their degrees and are training in a specialized area of medicine. All medical students, interns, residents and fellows in the unit are under the supervision of staff physicians. They will introduce themselves to you so that you know who they are.


Discharge Coordinator

This nurse organizes your discharge and teaches you about your new transplant or other items you need to learn about before leaving the hospital.

Nursing Students
UHN is a teaching hospital. All nursing students in the unit get close supervision from teachers and staff. Students will introduce themselves to you so that you know who they are.

Nurse Manager
Nurse Managers are in charge of the unit and may be contacted by patients and their families, about any concerns not addressed by the bedside nurse or medical team.

Patient Care Coordinator (PCC)
The PCC helps the manager with patient care. The PCC can also be contacted with any concerns not addressed by the bedside nurse or medical team.

Health Professions

Physiotherapists provide an exercise program to maintain and improve strength.

Occupational Therapists
Occupational therapists help you to be more independent. They help you with everyday activities like eating, dressing and bathing.

Pharmacists give information about the medicine you're taking. They also help to make sure you have the best medicine for your needs.

Social Workers
Social workers can provide family counseling, assistance and support, coordinate family conferences and talk about discharge-planning options.​

Speech Language Pathologists

This person works with you to improve your swallowing and speech.​

Registered Dietitians
A dietician will make sure that you receive the best possible nutrition, either through the food you eat or through a feeding tube, if you are experiencing swallowing problems.​


Patient Care Assistants (PCA)
Patient care assistants help you with your personal care needs, such as bathing, feeding and mobility. They are staff members trained by the hospital.

Volunteers manage the waiting area and help to organize visits into the CVICU. They direct your family to other areas and services within the hospital.

Learn more about health care professional trainees at UHN .

Back to Top