HBB Volunteer Requirements and Training
Requirements for Becoming an HBB Volunteer
HBB volunteers are caring and non-judgmental. They have strong interpersonal skills. If this describes you, then we’d love to have you apply to join our team. You also need to be:
- At least 21 years old
- Energetic, responsible, eager to learn and reliable
- Able to speak English well (speaking a second language is an asset)
- Able to commit to the HBB program for at least 1 full year
Please note: All HBB encounters are virtual through MS Teams or by phone.
As an HBB volunteer, you will have lots of contact with patients and their families, friends and caregivers. This contact requires training beyond what other hospital volunteers receive. The training will help you effectively support the people you work with.
You will undergo formal training before starting your HBB volunteer placement. Formal HBB training is in 2 parts:
- A Princess Margaret volunteer orientation session and some e-learning modules
- HBB training (one full virtual day) - see below for more details
The HBB training includes:
- Understanding the role of the HBB volunteer
- Active listening and communication skills training
- Learning about Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and cancer basics
- Education on the programs and resources within and outside the hospital
When you become an HBB volunteer you will be oriented to your role by HBB staff and other volunteers. HBB staff is available to support you as needed. You will also attend regular debriefing meetings to talk about things that occur during your volunteer shifts.