The Magic Castle is a free child-care service for children up to 12 years old. We take care of your children so that you can go to your appointment or visit family at Princess Margaret. We also welcome children who are patients themselves.
In the Magic Castle, a registered early childhood educator and
hospital volunteers support children's learning with age-appropriate play-based activities. Children are encouraged to express themselves through play and creativity, making the Magic Castle their own safe place.
The staff and volunteers engage children in a number of learning opportunities and areas of fun and development such as:
- Arts & crafts
- Games (video, computer and board)
- Creative and medical play
- Playing with toys
- Watching movies/PS4 station/tablets
- Sensory play
- Music and movement
Magic Castle staff creates and updates many pathfinders and booklets to better support children and their families touched by cancer. Staff also lands books related to cancer and assists families with other resource services information.
How to Register
You need to register your child only once, no matter how many times your child will visit the Magic Castle. You can register in person at the Magic Castle or with a Princess Margaret social worker. You will need to fill out a form with the following information:
- Your child's name and address
- Name of a contact in case of an emergency
- Your child’s allergy information
- Name of the person who will pick up your child
- Relationship of child to patient and location of patient in the Cancer Centre
- Medical release form from your child’s doctor (if your child is a patient)
Call the Magic Castle before each hospital visit to reserve a space for your child. While your child is in the Magic Castle, you must be in Princess Margaret.
Princess Margaret Cancer Centre |
Maps & Directions
New Temporary Location: Main floor, M-517 (previously Spiritual Care Offices)
Hours & Contact
Monday — Friday, 9:00 am — 4:00 pm
Phone: 416 946 4501 ext. 5157