The vagina makes its own natural fluid (lubrication, also known as “lube”). The fluid keeps the vagina elastic and healthy. When women are sexually aroused, their vagina will produce extra fluid. This fluid helps reduce friction. It makes putting anything into the vagina more comfortable. This also makes sex feel more pleasurable.
When the vagina does not produce enough fluid, it causes vaginal dryness.
There are many causes of vaginal dryness. Some causes of vaginal dryness include:
- Older age
- Lower amounts of estrogen in the body
- Radiation to the pelvis or vagina
- Surgery to the vagina or reproductive organs
What you can do
There are two things you can do:
- Ask your doctor if you can take estrogen. This will reduce vaginal dryness and other menopause symptoms.
- Use vaginal moisturizers and lubricants. They will help make your vagina less dry and more comfortable. Vaginal moisturizers and lubricants will also help increase your pleasure during sex. You can buy these without a prescription. They are a safe and useful choice for most women.
For more information read “Know How to Use Vaginal Moisturizers and Lubricants” [PDF, opens in new window] »