For your stay, bring the following items. If you forget to bring anything with you or if you arrive in our inpatient unit after visiting our emergency department or transferring from another hospital, a friend or family member can bring the items after you have been admitted.
Documents and Information
- Health card (OHIP card)
- Information about private health insurance or other health benefits. If you have private health insurance or receive other health benefits, this may help to cover the cost of
preferred accommodation if you request to stay in a semi-private or private room.
- A copy of any advance directive (power of attorney or living will) you may have
- Contact details for other health care providers who have been involved in your care to help us ensure continuity in your care
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of your family members, friends or other emergency contacts and your family doctor
- All your medications in their original bottles
- Or a complete list of medications you are currently taking, including prescription medications, non-prescription medications, vitamin or mineral supplements and herbal remedies
Clothing and Personal Items
- Loose, comfortable clothes to wear during the day that are easy to put on
- Clothes to sleep in, such as a nightgown or pajamas and a robe
- Socks and comfortable shoes with non-skid rubber soles, such as running shoes. If you have limited movement in your arms or hands, we recommend bringing shoes with Velcro straps.
- Slippers (rubber soles and closed backs are preferred)
- Toiletries, such as a toothbrush, tissues or lip and skin moisturizer. Please do not bring any
- Hearing aids and batteries, dentures and eyeglasses
- Walker, wheelchair or other mobility aids, labelled with your name and phone number
You May Want to Bring
- A cell phone
- Small personal items, such as framed photographs
- A laptop or tablet with headphones so you do not disturb other patients
- A small amount of cash for newspapers, coffee or other small purchases
- Anything that will make your stay more comfortable, such as books or other diversions. Free Guest Wi-Fi is available.
- We do not take responsibility for your money or valuables. If you choose to bring them into the hospital, you are doing so at your own risk.
- Live plants and flowers are not allowed.