Accelerator Technology (ATec)
Modern linear accelerators incorporate advanced beam delivery and imaging technologies to deliver radiation therapy treatments with accuracy and precision. Maintaining a linear accelerator to high performance standards requires knowledgeable staff with a thorough understanding of the various systems found in an accelerator, their servicing requirements, and how they interact to deliver patient treatments as intended.
The ATec Education Course is developed to address the training needs of physics staff responsible for the maintenance of medical accelerators. The emphasis of the course is on the practical aspects of maintaining Linacs, through a combination of lectures and hands-on labs. At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the theory of operation and servicing requirements of accelerators, multi-leaf collimators (MLCs) and accelerator-based imaging systems
- Understand the safety and licensing issues related to accelerator servicing
- Optimize dynamic beam delivery accuracy to improve accelerator performance
- Develop and participate in an effective service and quality control team
Endorsed by the AAPM
Course Program Overview
Visit the AEP YouTube Channel to watch the recently posted ATec Course "Preview Video". This short video clip provides an excellent overview of what you can expect when attending this course.
Go to the AEP YouTube Channel [opens in new window] »
Past ATec Course Program
Educational credits are assessed on a per-course basis. Below is a sampling of the credits awarded for the last iteration of the course, but these are subject to change.
- Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs Inc. 25.78 Credit Hours
General registration fee is $1,100 CDN.
Course registration fee includes:
- Access to electronic pre-course materials
- 4 day on-site course
- Access to electronic post-course materials
- Lunch each day
- Social Event
- Course binder is no longer included in registration fee, but can be provided upon request for small fee. Please inquire.
Confirmation of registration will be provided upon receipt of payment. DO NOT book non-refundable travel until your registration has been confirmed.
Registrant Cancellation: Written notification of cancellation is required at least ten business days prior to the course start date. If notification is received by this time a refund will be issued, minus a 15% administration fee. Substitutions and transfer of registration to a future course are also permitted. No refund will be issued if cancellation is received fewer than ten business days before the course start date.
Course Cancellation: If a course is cancelled, the Accelerated Education Program will refund the course registration fee in full but is not responsible for travel, accommodation, or other expenses incurred by the participant. The AEP assumes no liability for changes in course content or faculty.
Early-bird Discount: The AEP offers a 15% early-bird discount* to registrations completed four weeks or more prior to a course start date.
Alumni Discount: The AEP offers a 20% discount* to University of Toronto Department of Radiation Oncology Alumni.
*Discounts are only applicable to general registration pricing. Discount may not be applied to trainee pricing.
These policies are subject to change without notice.